Monday, February 28, 2005

Bush got high, now I've got to write!

I've been meaning to get to this for about the past week, but I have been so busy with a creative writing contest at MC that I have been light blogging lately. But it's done and I'm back!

Several secert tapes were released the other day which have Dubya confessioning to smoking pot. The 12 tapes were recorded by Doug Wead (no pun intended), a former aide to Bush's father, while he thought he was just having a conversation with a buddy.

''I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions,'' he said, according to the Times. ''You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried.''

I couldn't find anything that admitted how much marijuana he had "tried", whether he was once a regular smoker or if he just tried it once. But one thing I liked was that this confession is way better than Clinton's "I did not inhale."

The only thing this proves to me is that marijuana users are very different and more and more people have smoked pot before. Estimates claim that nearly 80 million Americans have smoked marijuana before. That's around 27.1% of the population (the population right now is 295,568,434) or around 1 out of every 4 of everyone. That's one out of every 4 of you're co workers. That's one out of every 4 you see working at the burger joint (OK, maybe it's a little bit more over there). But marijuana users vary greatly. Heck it could even be you're local gas station owner. It no longer belongs to just the hippies and rock stars!

Why not legalize the stuff for responsible users and make it work to our advantage. We'll no longer have to pay to house marijuana offenders in prision. We could charge a tax on it and make a LOT of money! Fund the schools. We could put thousands of farmers back to work, and improve our economy so much. Just think about how much our GDP would increase in the first couple years if it was legalized (all those black market sales do not count on GDP, but if it was sold by a store it would count). And if we put it in the hands of corporations, then the gov't can control sale and make sure kids don't get ahold of it. Sell it to adults over 21. Make it like alcohol. Control the sale and tax it. Tax it alot. It could be sold a lot cheaper by a corporation who mass produces it than by a drug dealer who risks his freedom to sell it, so there will be no more black market aspect to marijuana. Let's focus on the harder drugs. Teach our kids to stay off that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous George said...

The smokefree Midland folks would sure like that one!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Bert said...

Marijuana is one thing I would support being banned from public places. But cigerettes: now that's an addiction.

I am nearly smoke free now! I smoked a grand total of 1 cigerette today! From a pack a day to one! I think I'm doing good!

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker